Wednesday 16 December 2009

On Writing Poetry

I have never written poetry on a full time basis, and I can only describe my versification as an eratic pastime at best. Although some might say neurotic best describes the poetic sensibility, I would have to disagree - there are many more non-poetic neurotics than poeticising neurotics.

There are even poets who poeticise neurosis. William Empson, one of my favourite poets, wrote very few poems in his lifetime - pehaps this is why I admire him so much. It's remarkably easy to go on and on. Somehow the idea of being a serious poet seems intrinsically absurd. I'm not sure why, and I'm sure I don't really want to know why, short of undergoing protracted psychoanalysis. Who knows what might be unearthed, and I could end up taking myself very seriously indeed.

Haiku is a very interesting form, but can be pretentious if not handled properly. By properly I mean with delicacy. The Japanese have a strong leaning towards nostalgia - I think it could be down to the clash between two different ethical systems, Confucianism and Buddhism. While the former lends itself to a productive and useful social life, the other is more retiring. The Japanese are so busy, that they miss a lot in their haste to satisfy social and group obligations.

When they drink they get maudlin over things that have gone and 'will never come again'. Then it's back on the bus and back to work! To avoid being oppressively nostalgic, Haiku limits the number of syllables you can use, and forces the Haikuist to be very crafty and creative. It is, when successful, a beautiful form. On grieving:

In the morning mist,

the call of a pheasant.

How I miss my parents!

As you may gather I am inclined towards minimalism in poetry - and not just as a justification for my own lack of poetic productivity - it just stikes a chord with my own disposition, which is inclined to laziness and reflection following periods of productivity. Is there an ideal balance? I'll let you know when I find out! After all, as the great Lao Tsu - or someone - said:

When studying the Way, everything accumulates. When carrying out the Way,
everything reduces.

A tutor of mine, when I told her that I had stopped writing poetry, commented happily:

"Yes, more people should."

Bless you Dorothy, I'm at it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment